Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Memorial Weekend

For Memorial weekend my sister, her two teenage boys, and one girlfriend came to stay with us. We spent most of the time in the pool. This is when Alex learned to swim. Boy did he surprise us all!





It was decided beforehand that we were going to try a crawfish boil. We'd all eaten it before but never made it. Boy, it's a lot of work. You have to buy them live and my grocery stores didn't have them unless you ordered them in advance. So, Lisa bought them and drove them over an hour to get to me. We kept them damp overnight and cooked them on Sunday. You have to rinse them in salt water to get out all the dirt and poop, and then pick out the dead ones. The cooking part wasn't too hard but the prep work was long and stinky.


They were good. Even though we didn't make them spicy my little boys thought it was kinda spicy and didn't eat much. They had fun though. Now I've got two double bagged bags of stinky crawfish carcases that won't be picked up until Friday - yuck!!

We also celebrated Tyler's 16th birthday (a little late). The cake I made was called a rocky road cake. It's just regular chocolate cake with chocolate frosting but you add mini marshmallows, peanuts, and mini kisses (I couldn't find those so I used milk chocolate chips) all over it. The picture I saw also had a "road" made of marshmallows and peanuts but I made a big T for this one. It was yummy!


Happy Birthday Tyler!

1 comment:

kelly said...

Great pictures. looks like a blast!