Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Back to nature

I should charge admission to this place with as many critters and things as we have around us. Of course we still have the window bombing red birds. Lets not forget these guys.
I can't keep them out of the bird food. So much for "squirrel proof" bird feeders - ha!

Our dog has been going crazy because we've got a turkey that's been wandering around in our front yard. I guess I associate turkeys with fall but we're seeing more now.

Our agarita bushes are nearly ready. They had pretty little yellow flowers in March.

Then in late April the berries started turning from yellow to red.

They are pretty much all red now and probably ready for eating. I have no idea what they taste like but they are edible. They are super duper prickly so the deer stay away. I read that the best way to pick them is to lay a sheet underneath and shake the bush to avoid being poked. I may or may not try that. Maybe I should taste one first and see if it's worth the effort. One website that I read also said that you can make them into wine........just saying.

We have an old mail box on a post in a pot on our front porch (got all that?) When we had so much rain the other day I went out and tipped it over to get the water out of the pot. (It used to have fake flowers in the bottom but I pulled them out to change them and never did anything.)
There were some old twigs in it that I thought were from birds last year. I didn't see anything so I dumped them out too. Today when I went out to water plants I noticed the clump of twigs on the ground had two eggs on it! Not only that but there was another stray egg that had rolled a few feet away..
The bird had already started rebuilding a nest in the mailbox so I put on gloves and carefully picked up the nest and extra egg and put it back in. I don't know what will happen but I tried!

No comments: