Saturday, September 18, 2010

Soccer time!

At long last Alex & Zachary are "real" soccer players! The Tigers had their first practice on Thursday evening and the boys did so well. They listened to the coaches and pretty much did what they were told. Only one child on the team kept wandering off or sitting down and saying he was tired. They practiced with yellow pennies (is that how you spell it?) on and they were HUGE. They must have given the same size to all youth teams regardless of their ages. We were pleasantly surprised that the kids were given full uniforms. We were expecting just the shirts but they got shorts and socks as well plus a water bottle. They are so cute!

Our first game was this morning. We'll be playing every Saturday morning. It was so funny. I had no idea that the 4-5 year olds played in a fenced in field. I guess this cut way down on whistles and stopping the clock for kicking out of bounds. Chris and I joked that it was a cage match! The only downside was that they weren't supposed to touch the fence, which got hard when you were trying to get a ball right up against it, and the fact that the goals were also fenced in. That made it a little hard to tell where the goals were when you were in the heat of the game. These little guys played 3 on 3 and we only have six on our team. That meant that everybody got lots of playing time. Alex is number 4 and Zachary is number 2.



If you had actually kept score, well, we would have lost - big time. But we had lots of fun and I think learned alot at our first game. The kids (and me) had no idea what to expect and now we do. We'll be ready for our next one. I am also now the team mom. As I am going through the folder of stuff I got this morning I can see that we're going to have to do some fundraiser stuff. How in the world do they expect 4 & 5 year olds to sell stuff? That's way too young if you ask me. I'd rather they just increase my fee for playing. Oh well. They didn't ask me. Anybody want to buy some junk, um, lovely items?

4 comments:

Sara said...

What types of "lovely items" do you have to sell? The boys look so cute!

kelly said...

Cute pictures! Yes, what types of lovely items are you selling?

Karen said...

The usual stuff - candles, wrapping paper, cookie mixes, etc. I really won't force this stuff on you guys. Plus, they've only given us until the first of October to sell it. Is it always such a short time period??

Joanne said...

For school, it's always a short time period like that. Two or three weeks, max.

The boys look adorable! Being the soccer nuts that they are (especially Zach), they must have been so excited!