Friday, June 27, 2008

The play-doh experiment

Today I tried a recipe I found for edible play-doh. We've never used real play-doh yet because I'm afraid that Zachary will eat it. He still likes to put everything in his mouth. I know that play-doh is non-toxic but I still don't want him to eat it. Well, I followed the instructions and it came out too sticky to play with so I added much more powdered milk than the recipe called for until it stopped sticking to my fingers. Of course I had to see what it tasted like and it was good. It is peanut butter and honey after all - what's not to like? It ended up being firm enough to roll in balls and such but not to actually build things. Since Alex and Zachary are too little to be able to make anything it was fine for them. I helped them pat it out flat and then they used cookie cutters to make fun shapes. They also liked making hand prints in it. I rolled a few pieces into "snakes" and they had fun pounding the snake and telling it "no no". (They know that snakes bite and we often talk about how biting is not nice, etc.) Eventually they just started tearing it to pieces with their fingers. It was probably fun to be allowed to make a mess for once. All in all they had a good time and nobody ever tried to eat it except for me!

























5 comments:

soccermom10 said...

Can you reseal the container and play with it again another day?

Karen said...

I think so. The directions said to store in an air tight container. We'll see tomorrow!

kelly said...

That looks like fun!! I can't wait to try....can we come play with it in your kitchen? I'll bring the coffee & milk :-)

Joanne said...

How cute! And yea for the boys for not eating it (baby Mama)! ;-)

Joanne said...

That was supposed to say "bad mama" but baby mama is funny!