Sunday, January 31, 2010

Pretzel making

Tonight I decided to try my hand at pretzel making. A few months ago I stumbled on a yummy looking recipe for Laura's Amazing Soft Pretzels and for some reason today seemed like a good day to try them out. Chris always orders a big pretzel when we go eat at our favorite German restaurant so I knew he'd be in. Laura has really great instructions and pictures so I easily figured out how to twist my pretzel. My only problem was that my first two baking sheets came out HUGE! I mean big heavy pretzels that you can barely see the holes because the cooked so big. So even though the recipe says to use a fist sized ball of dough for each I went a little smaller with the next two sheets and they look great. From the moment the warm water hit the yeast the whole house smelled wonderful!

Here are my big fat pretzels. I really might weigh one of the jumbos - they are that huge.

These are the pretty ones and they're all covered in butter and salt.

I sure hope they freeze well because we'll never eat all these! I've already promised to bring a few up to my parents house when the boys and I go to visit next weekend. I made 11 fat ones and 11 normal ones so I think if I did them all the right way it would have made 2 1/2 to 3 dozen total. They sure were good though.

4 comments:

kelly said...

Yummy!!!

Teresa Andel said...

Those look delicious. I love salty pretzels.

Colie's Kitchen said...

WOW looks like I have a project this week. I love pretzels, but I can never find a good recipe!! I am going to try these. Thanks for sharing!!

soccermom10 said...

I want one this weekend! Don't forget them....