Monday, August 23, 2010

1st day of Pre-K

Well today was the big day. It started off with Zachary coming to our room at about 5:45. Nope, not time to wake up. Go back to bed. When I did go to his room to get him he was all smiles and ready to go asking about his lunchbox. Alex, not so much. He saw it was still dark outside and told me "It's not wake up time. Go out and let me sleep one more time." Poor guy. I wish I could have slept a little later too. Once he got up, he was just as excited about the big day as Zachary. They were ready!!

We got to school a tad bit early because I didn't know what first day of school traffic would be like. I wasn't the only parent that took a picture outside of school!
The Pre-K and Kinder kids all go to a big music room to wait for school to start instead of the gym where the bigger kids go. The teachers said that it actually cuts down on crying kids because it's not the "final" destination or something. Alex & Zachary sat in the row designated for their teacher - not together. Alex sat right down and clammed up. He went into his shy mode and wouldn't even turn around to take a picture or tell me goodbye.
Even though Alex wouldn't look at me both boys were fine. I stood outside the door for about five minutes and kept peeking in!
It was such a weird day without the boys. I did go to the grocery store, which is about the only thing open at not quite 8 in the morning. But the house was so quiet. I got to watch a show I had on DVR. I washed Alex's sheets and swept the floors. I put together some rolls, cinnamon rolls, and a loaf of bread to rise. (I just took the last one out of the oven.) I'm going to have to start pulling out some big projects soon. FINALLY it was time to go and get my guys! I was way early to the bus stop but again, being the first day and a brand new school, I just didn't trust the bus to come at exactly when they said it would. I was right, kind of. The bus wasn't on time....it was a little late. There was one other Mama waiting with me. The kids were hot and sweaty when they got off. Zachary said he fell asleep on the bus and he looked like it. Two out of the three other kids had been sleeping too. That mom had to go on the bus to get them off.
The minute we got in the house they wanted a snack. When I cleaned out their lunch boxes I noticed that Zachary didn't eat most of his - the turkey and cheese. He only ate the goldfish crackers and strawberry newtons. He said the teacher said it was time to go. He really is a slow eater. It figures that he started with the snacks first. We'll have to work on that. Alex & Zachary had a good day. They seemed to have had fun and are ready to go back tomorrow. Now that the first day is under our belts I feel better too. I didn't even cry today like I thought I might.

2 comments:

Sara said...

Wow! Such big boys! I'm glad everyone had a great first day!

kelly said...

What a great day! Riding the bus and everything! Did they talk much about the school or teacher or friends?