Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Oh so cute cookies!

This months Parents Magazine had the cutest cookie recipe that I just had to try. They are very summery and a change of pace from our usual (and still much loved) chocolate chip cookies. It's called Lemon Slices but I think Pink Lemonade cookies fit better since they're pink and, well, made with lemonade mix. If you want the actual recipe from the website you can find it here. However, the recipe posted below is the same one - not altered.

Lemon Slices - aka Pink Lemonade Cookies

Ingredients

1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup powdered lemonade mix
1 egg
8 drops red food coloring
1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
Pinch of salt
1/4 cup pink decorating sugar
1 Tbs. light corn syrup
1-1/2 cups powdered sugar
2 to 3 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
Directions

1. In a large bowl, combine butter, granulated sugar, and lemonade mix. Beat with a mixer on medium-high speed until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add egg and food coloring; beat well. Gradually add flour and salt; beat until dough begins to cling.

2. Gather dough into a ball and shape into a 7x2 1/2-inch log. Wrap in waxed paper. Chill 3 hours so it's firm enough to slice.

3. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper. Place decorating sugar in a shallow bowl. Remove waxed paper from dough. Brush outside of the dough log with corn syrup. Cut log crosswise into 1/8-inch thick slices. Lightly roll edges of the slices in the pink sugar. Place on cookie sheets about 1 inch apart. Cut some cookies in half, if desired. Score the top of cookies with the back of a small knife to make them resemble citrus segments.

4. Bake about 8 minutes, or until edges are just firm. Let cool on a wire rack.

5. Mix powdered sugar and lemon juice; place in a resealable plastic bag. Snip a small hole in one corner of the bag. Pipe icing onto scored lines and add dots. Let stand until icing is set.

The only slight variation I made was not having fresh lemon juice. I used the kind in the bottle. I also didn't score all my cookies figuring that since I was icing them I didn't really need to. You make the call on that one. One of the reviews on the website had said that the corn syrup brushed on the outside made it too gooey to cut and work. I just now realized that I brushed mine with oil instead of syrup! Ooops! I don't think it affected the taste.

Alex is always ready to help in the kitchen.
Ready for the oven.
The finished product.

They would probably be cute just left yellow and with yellow sprinkles although they wouldn't be as showy. I think this cookie is a keeper. The boys and I all liked them and although Chris hasn't tried them yet I think he might agree.

4 comments:

kelly said...

Totally cute!

soccermom10 said...

they look really cute and if Alex and Zach gave their seal of approval they must be delish!

Joanne said...

Those turned out so, so cute! We might have to try them, too!

Karen said...

I wish they'd have been a little more round but that was the best I could do. I even rotated the cookie log while freezing but I can never get a nice circle.