Monday, January 31, 2011

Yes, I have lost my mind

I think I've mentioned at some point before that one of my sisters has become a runner. Starting about three years ago she began running and training for races. She ran a full marathon and more half marathons and 5K's than I can keep track of. So when she was talking about signing up for another half marathon with a friend of hers my other sister (who's run in one with her before and that's it) said she wanted to sign up too. Somehow, someway I ended up signing up too. Maybe I felt pressured, maybe I wanted to prove something, maybe I wanted to "bond" with my sisters.....or maybe I just lost my mind. Having paid the money for this thing and bought all the running gear (new shoes, new watch, running belt water bottle holder thingy) I am committed. Or maybe I should be committed? Did I mention that this race is at the end of March. As in less than two months away? Needless to say, training is not going as well as I'd hoped. I started off strong with my short runs. Then I got strep throat which cost me a day. I got going again though only to start having major calf cramps. The kind that still hurt on your day off and basically all the time. I'm eating more bananas and stretching really well. I just can't seem to run for more than about 2 miles at a time. Until this weekend that is. The sister that started this whole mess told me to bring all my running gear when I visited my parents this past weekend. She made me run. (I use the term run loosely. We alternate running with walking and I do much more walking.) She made me run four miles. I didn't die. Even if I felt like I might. I usually have to do this by myself and usually on a treadmill. Even though I wanted to kill her it was still better to do it outside and with someone.
Here we are after we finished.

Don't let the smiles fool you. I hurt. This was yesterday and I still hurt today. I wasn't sure I could move this morning but I'm much better now. My next big run is 6 miles. I can't even think about it.

4 comments:

kelly said...

You are so funny ! I am glad four miles didn't kill you or make you throw in the towel! keep it up, peer pressure is working for you!

Joanne said...

You can do it!

soccermom10 said...

It wasn't that bad was it? Next up.....6 miles! :)

Sara said...

Way to go! You'll make it!