Friday, August 28, 2009

A little snag

I had the ARD meeting with Zachary's speech teacher this morning and the meeting went fine. However, after I turned in all of his enrollment paperwork the school nurse wanted to talk to me. I had a feeling I knew what it was about..... You see, when the boys came home and had all of their bloodwork and other testing done Zachary had a positive TB skin test. He was sent for a chest x-ray which came back clear so he doesn't actually have TB. His vaccination records from Russia show that he was given a TB vaccination so that's likely what caused the positive skin test. He took the required 6 months of precautionary medication and life went on. Except that he will have a positive skin test for the rest of his life and probably a new chest x-ray every so often just to follow up. Why, oh why didn't I ever think to ask for a copy of the clear chest x-ray? Why wouldn't I want proof that Zachary didn't have this disease? It never even crossed my mind. Now the school needs some sort of documentation showing that he's clear before he can go back.....on Monday. Yeah. I did call his new pediatrician as soon as we got back and they think they have all of his old medical records (otherwise I need to call the old pedi) but they have to have a nurse look through the records and call me back. I'm hoping that they call in the next few hours and can fax the record to the school (and maybe put a copy in the mail to me) so he can go to class on Monday with Alex. If not, we're going to have one unhappy boy!

1 comment:

kelly said...

I hope they have that x-ray!! Yea for your alone time!!!!!!