Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Bird watching

I promise all of these pictures were taken this afternoon. I am not making this stuff up. Lately my squirrels have gone away but the birds are here! That includes turkeys. We've seen a few from time to time since we've been here but a few days ago there was one in our front yard when I took the dog out (in the middle of the afternoon). Then today as I was coming home from the grocery store this guy was crossing the road right next to my house.
Later after I put the boys down for a nap I was sitting at our dining/kitchen table and saw lots of bird activity on the back deck. When I looked closer it was actually just one bird but he was really busy building a nest in our grill. Yup, I wouldn't have thought a grill would make a great birdhouse but apparently I was wrong. We just got a new grill and haven't moved the old one out so this nest isn't in danger of going up in flames. The bird would pick up a twig, fly in a little hole on one side of the grill, and then fly out the other side. While that little guy was flying off looking for more nest supplies a cardinal stopped by to check out our grub. (I have a bird feeder on a tree that overhangs the deck.)Then a minute later he was joined on the deck by a painted bunting that had been chowing down on the bird feeder. The painted bunting has been a regular here for the last few days but the cardinal was new.I'm really enjoying watching all the animals and things but I think I need a camera with a zoom lens. Hint, hint - hubby. Oh wait he doesn't read this. Will somebody please tell him that I need a new camera? Thanks.

No comments: