Friday, May 29, 2009

Potty Training Update

**Warning**
This post contains talk of bodily functions. Read at your own risk.

O.K. I'll start by saying that Alex still has no desire whatsoever to get out of diapers. Incentives such as candy, big boy underwear, praise, etc do not do it for him. Oh, he knows how to go on the potty and usually will when you take him but he doesn't care one bit if he goes in his diaper. If someone doesn't check him or ask if his diaper is still clean and dry he would sit in the same diaper all day.

Zachary on the other hand does care - about sitting in a dirty diaper at least. He has gotten pretty good at telling me if he's dirty. He was stuck in the car with Chris last week when he became dirty and cried until he got home because he had to sit in it. Good progress, I think. Unfortunately, the last week Zachary has come to believe that he can clean up his own dirty diaper. We find him bare bottomed sitting on the potty with a dirty diaper and wipes on his bedroom floor. Sometimes he has cleaned him bottom and put the dirty wipes back in the box. Several times now when he's taken his dirty diaper off he's gotten his bed, the floor, and/or his rug dirty. The worst was Monday when he managed to step in it and touch it. My mom was here and put Zachary straight in the bath (she even had to scrub between his toes!) while I changed the sheets on his bed and cleaned the carpet. He pulled off or touched a dirty diaper three times at bedtime that same day. We did resort back to duct tape on the diaper one night. Then a friend suggested putting his diaper on backwards. Hmmm....I never thought of that. I've done it several times now and Zachary thinks it's pretty funny when I have him roll onto his tummy to put on the new diaper. I think he could get it off if he wanted but maybe it's just a little extra work to make him think twice. If I could just get him to tell me before he goes we'd be all set. I still think he'll beat Alex.

1 comment:

kelly said...

This is not fun! I'm sending you an email about what we're doing. Good Luck :-)