Saturday, January 24, 2009

Another trip to the emergency room

This time it was for Chris. He's had a bad back for a little over a year. It took a long to to figure out he's got a herniated disk. He's tried injections and physical therapy but it looks like surgery may be the only way to fix it and he's not been ready for that yet. So he lives with some pain on most days and more on others. This time it really started hurting on Wednesday. I think it was from doing so much yard work. By the time he came home from work on Thursday he was walking hunched over like an old man. Yesterday he couldn't go to work and spent most of the day laying down. It got worse again yesterday evening. He had a hard time sleeping last night. So, this morning he asked if I would take him to the emergency room. I helped him get dressed, packed up snacks and toys for the boys, and had to look up directions to the hospital. That sounds so goofy but since we've only lived here a month we haven't found the hospital yet. Luckily the waiting room was empty when we got there so Chris got to go right in. We were there about an hour. He got a shot of Demerol so they had to wheel him to the car (he was dizzy). We got three major drug prescriptions. I don't know how his back feels but right now he should be dizzy, drowsy, and have blurred vision (if he weren't asleep). We're supposed to be going to an out of town birthday party this afternoon but I think we may have to skip. Chris said we should go without him but I'm not sure I can leave him in this condition.

Happy Birthday Luke! We'll see you Wednesday!

5 comments:

kelly said...

I hope Chris feels better, back pain is the worst. Looking forward to Wednesday :-)

Joanne said...

Oh, no! I hope Chris feels better when he wakes up!

Kelli said...

Okay Chris....you need to rest and take it easy for a few days. You may want to reconsider surgery. I know it's not fun, but you sure don't want back problems the rest of your life. You've got to boys who want to play ball with their Daddy!

Teresa Andel said...

I have a doctor I can highly recommend if you decide to go with the surgery. I had a disk replaced in my neck about three years ago and the pain was gone instantly. He's in Austin at the Central Texas Spine Institute.

Karen said...

Teresa,
Thanks for the doctor advice. Chris may have to have a military doctor do it since we're now much closer to a base but I'll let him know.
Chris did go back to work today. His medications are helping with the pain although he's still worse than normal. He came home from work, took meds, and layed down again.