Sunday, March 8, 2009

How much wood could a woodpecker peck...

if a woodpecker could peck wood? I came home this afternoon from spending the night at my parents to find this in our front yard. (It's larger in real life than it looks in this picture.)
I was surprised to find this big limb down because it didn't really even look dead like several others that we have. Unfortunately it fell on some smaller Persimmon trees and damaged one of them. (I had already moved it before I took the picture.) When Chris came home from work he told me that he saw it driving in and to take a closer look at it.
The branch is hollow all the way down to the break. We have both seen woodpeckers in this tree and Chris thinks that is the culprit. I did some research on woodpeckers and it does look like a woodpecker hole to me but I didn't realize that it could weaken a tree enough to make a branch fall off. Now I'm not saying we're right but that is what it looks like.

No comments: