Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Gardening

This post is mostly for my hubby to see what I've done around the house lately since he's been reading my blog from Iraq. I've spent the last several days planting more flowers, mulching a flower bed, repotting plants, and rearranging pool storage. The boys helped a little over the weekend with the mulch. They jump at any chance to dig or shovel!

Here I finally threw out a dead tree that was sitting in a big gorgeous pot for the last two years and planted our fern in it that had been in a plastic pot on a shelf. I repotted a few other things by the front door but it looks much different without the plant shelf next to the door. (Trust me.)
This is the big flower bed that we filled over Spring Break. It hasn't grown much since then but three things did die and I replaced them. I'm debating adding mulch because I think it will look nicer but the woman at the nursery said not to. Hmmmm.....
This is the semi-new bed on the other side of the porch. We had only planted two things here when Chris was home but I've added to it and added the limestone border.

This one's not planting but I got a new smaller deck box to replace the large broken one that was there before. The big one was moved to the side of the house to hold all of the river tubes and rafts. The boys and I shoveled fill gravel to sit it on to be level. That was work!

The back yard bed. This one got new mulch and new flowers. I wasn't very smart about it though and put the mulch in before the plants! I had to scoop the mulch back to dig my plants holes - extra work. We also had a wooden wheelbarrow here that had a plant in it but it kept tipping over since this bed isn't very flat on top. I moved it to the front and added a new home-made bird bath here.

Here's a close up of the bird bath. It was a craft I found in a kids craft magazine and was supposed to be for Mother's Day but didn't get finished in time. I think it turned out so cute!

This is both of the bird baths that we made. One is for my mom and the other for me. The boys were each supposed to have made one but only Zachary was interested. Alex glued about two rows of rocks in his and called it quits. Zachary and I finished his up.

That's some of the main things I've done for now. I've got a few other things in mind or in process so I might have more pictures later this week.

4 comments:

Sara said...

Everything is looking great! I'm not sure why the lady at the nursery would tell you not to put in mulch...I put hardwood mulch in all of my flower beds and it makes a world of difference.

Not only does the mulch make the beds look "finished", it also keeps the rain (if we ever get any more!) from splashing soil onto your house and dirtying the brick/rock. Also keeps the weeds down and will help keep a more consistent soil moisture. Soil without mulch dries out much faster.

Ok, I'll stop there, but there are many other good reasons to mulch!

kelly said...

I'm with Sara, I always mulch after planting! Did the lady say why?

The pictures look great, the pool looks like a picture in a magazine! Love the bird bath too :-)

soccermom10 said...

Karen- I say trust Sara on the mulch! It's looking good and the pool looks so blue and inviting! I can't wait for the water to get a bit warmer...

Karen said...

Most of the plants we picked are drought tollerant and prefer somewhat dry soil so I think the mulch was going to keep it too moist. Maybe the rosemary was the one she worried about the most? I can't remember now. I agree about the rain splashing dirt everywhere! Our one rain last week really dirtied up the sides of the limestone bed. I think I will mulch then afterall! Thanks!