Sunday, May 1, 2011

Strawberry picking

A few days ago I heard mentioned on the radio or somewhere a "local" farm to go and pick your own strawberries. I had something like this on my summer to-do list with the boys but since strawberry season is almost done and we love strawberries we headed out there yesterday with some friends. The boys were so excited about going. It was free to get in so we just grabbed some fruit boxes and found a good picking spot. We were told that you have to look under the leaves for the strawberries and they were right. Most of the strawberries were not obvious unless you were looking for them. Despite an overcast morning the sun came out right when we got there. I'm not sure if the heat was the problem but Alex was done picking after about 10 minutes. Um, we had about a two hour drive to get there so I was not done. Plus I had been dreaming of a fresh strawberry pie! Zachary wasn't ready to stop either so while Alex went and sat on a bench under a pavillion he kept on picking with me. In the end I practically had to pull him away from the strawberries! Zachary was a great picker!!







After Zachary & I had enough berries for a pie and extra munching we took a break for strawberry ice cream and strawberry popcicles. Of course Zachary chose vanilla just to be different. Then we checked out more of the farm.
We dug a few new potatoes and pulled a few onions.

Train rides are always a hit!

Last but not least were the goats. There were horses and donkeys too but we were too hot and tired to see them. The goat pen happened to be next to the train. The boys got a kick out of feeding them through the fence.


Just in case we didn't have enough non-nutritional food after the ice cream and popcicles we made a donut stop on the way home!
At the end of the day I had about 3 pounds of strawberries, 3 onions, and 5-6 new potatoes.
More than enough for my strawberry pie!
I'm thinking about strawberry scones for tomorrow.....

1 comment:

Sara said...

What a fun day! That pie looks delicious!!