Friday, September 26, 2008

Doctors and therapists

Alex had his follow up at the doctor this morning. He had a slight wheeze but overall he's very much improved. While he was there we went ahead and gave him his flu vaccination. I was hoping for the nasal spray but the doctor said that due to his asthma an injection was better. Alex was such a good boy and didn't even cry. I would have liked to get Zachary's done too but since it wasn't his doctor visit they couldn't give it to him.

In the afternoon we had another visit with ECI (Early Childhood Intervention). Our usual therapist brought an actual speech therapist with her this time. I have no doubt that Alex is improving in his language all the time but he just doesn't speak very clearly. I often feel like his translator, even to daddy. I was right. The therapist concluded that Alex is dropping the endings off of his words and when he says a word with several syllables he tends to repeat the same sound like elelent for elephant. So this therapist will come out twice in October and then Alex will age out of the service when he turns three. He'll have to be tested by the school district to see if he qualifies for speech with them. I actually hope he does. I'd rather work on getting him caught up now than having him end up behind because we chose to "wait and see". As long as he doesn't fight it I can't see any harm.

No comments: