Friday, September 5, 2008

A look back at bedtime

I posted awhile back about Zachary having some bad nap times. That post was written during one of those bad days. On the whole it's not too terribly bad. And it could be worse. He used to take off his pants and his diaper and then wet the bed. Not every night but enough to drive us crazy. The pants though, did come off most nights. I asked everybody I knew for advice and I read about it on frua. I tried everything. First we tried putting him in one piece pajamas, backwards. This stopped him for about a week. He never could get the snaps open but he's so small that he figured how to get his whole body out through the neck hole. No kidding.
Next we tried one piece footy pajamas that zipped up the front. Well, that lasted about two days. Not only did he get every stitch of clothing off and wet the bed in about three different places but an extra pair of pajama pants showed up that had been missing for a few days.Since Zachary couldn't figure out snaps the next step was a onsie with pants on top. He could get the pants off but not the onsie - yes! Oh wait. He could get the diaper off and out through one of the leg holes though.

Last resort - duct tape. Finally something that worked! The only thing he could pull off now was his pants and that wasn't a problem. Yea, a dry bed! We did this for about a week when one night Zachary saw me get out the tape and started crying. I told him that I wouldn't put it on anymore if he left his diaper alone.....and he did. Since then (June) he hasn't been taking any clothes off anymore. We do still have him sleep in a onsie, just in case, but his pants are always on.

The one thing that I can't break him of is this: This picture was taken at nap time today. Even if I don't see him with his hand in his pants I can tell he did it by the elastic marks on his wrists. We had heard that in his orphanage the children slept with their arms swaddled (he was 16 months when he came home). I always wondered if that had anything to do with it, if it was a comfort thing. Or maybe he just likes his hands down his pants.

2 comments:

kelly said...

Well I'm glad the duct tape did the trick, at least for now.

Joanne said...

He's a mini Al Bundy!