Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Sick house

Alex is sick. Again. Really we've all got a little bit of a cold or something. We're a close family like that. One of us gets sick and we so kindly share it with everyone else. When Alex gets a cold though, he starts to wheeze. Yesterday we used his inhaler all day - every four hours. We even had to give it to him at the dinner table because he was coughing so much that he couldn't eat. I just thought I had seen him bad until last night. My poor baby woke up every hour or so starting at 11:30 coughing, crying, and asking for mama. Most of the time I couldn't give him any more of his inhaler and could only rub his back and try to calm him down. So I called the doctor first thing this morning and actually got in. I just knew the doctor would say that it was his same old "asthma aggravated by his cold" that I always over react to but I was wrong. The doctor said that I was right and said that if he's this bad again at night or on a weekend I could go to the emergency room. They gave Alex two breathing treatments while we were there and a prescription for an oral steroid to give him twice a day for five days in addition to the inhaler. His breathing has been much better this afternoon but he's not had his usual appetite. We're scheduled for a follow up on Friday morning unless things worsen and we need to take him back tomorrow.

3 comments:

Sara said...

Poor baby!! I hope he gets to feeling better soon and it doesn't get worse!

Joanne said...

Poor little guy! Asthma is so scary!

soccermom10 said...

I hope Alex is feeling much better today.