Wednesday, September 3, 2008

New mom thing

I think I have a problem knowing when my kids really need a doctor or not. I've been told that all new moms get freaked out by any fever or little sniffle and that's me. I took the boys to the doctor once and was told that they only had a cold and there was nothing to do but give them fluids and ride it out. I've also called the nurse line at least twice asking if they thought I needed to come in for one reason or another. I don't know how many times I've called my mom or a sister to ask about symptoms. Plus, you saw my post about the mystery "hives". By the way - the doctor doesn't think it's hives. She doesn't know what it is. We were just at the doctor yesterday and then last night Alex starts having breathing problems. So we use his inhaler (we just got it in April and haven't used it much). It helps a little but I still hear his heavy breathing/wheezing. This morning he woke up bad. Even after the inhaler his breathing sounds labored. Then he tells me that he has an owie and points to his tummy. I pointed to his chest and asked if that's where it hurt thinking it's got to be from the breathing but he said no and pointed to his tummy again. Then he asks me if he can take a nap - at 11 in the morning. Uh-oh. I called the doctor but we can't get in until tomorrow morning. Until then I hope he sleeps through the night. He's got such a nasty sounding cough to go along with it. I'm wondering if it's bronchitis but the doctor might just say that a cold irritated his unconfirmed asthma and she can't do anything. I'm not sure which I prefer.

2 comments:

kelly said...

I hear you! I hope Alex wakes up feeling better. How are we supposed to know when to see the doctor? Where's my instruction manual? Did I lose it on the airplane??

Karen said...

This morning he woke up so much better than yesterday. Still wheezing but nowhere near as bad. I considered cancelling the doctor's appointment but took him in anyway. Just as I thought - he's got a cold that aggrivated his asthma. Nothing to do but wait it out and give him his inhaler!