Monday, November 17, 2008

My frostbitten toes

Got a little story for ya, Ags. This morning after my sister left to take the girls to school my mom decided to jump in the shower while I watched the three boys. No biggie. Then the dog (a cute little Westie named Spencer) started barking and standing at the door. So I let him out. There is no fence in the backyard but they let him out without a leash all the time. He's pretty good about coming back when called, usually. So the boys and I watched Spencer do his job and he trotted around the yard a bit. Then he started to walk to the fence line separating their neighborhood from the one behind them. A man behind the fence came out with a large bird flapping on his arm (I'm talking like a hawk or something) and was putting it in a shed like building. Spencer gets right up on the fence and starts barking at them. At this point I have walked outside in my pajamas - barefoot - am and calling for the dog.

He doesn't come.

I clap my hands and continue to yell.

He doesn't come.

I say the magic word - biscuit.

He doesn't come.

I try all three "Spencer, biscuit, biscuit, biscuit!" (while clapping).

He actually walks away.

Now I can't even see him anymore because he's walked around the back of the neighbors house. I poke my head back inside and yell at my mom to watch the boys. I know she can't hear me but don't care. I run out in the damp grass and 30 something degree morning still in my pajamas to get this darn dog. On the other side of the neighbors house is a road. Oh, no! I just know that the dog has run into traffic and has been hit and my sister will never forgive me that I've killed her dog while she was gone! I finally spot him around the corner and grab him before he can run any farther. I carry him all the way back to the house. My feet are tingling and hurt because they are so cold. When I get to the house I drop the dog and wrap my feet up in a cover. The boys are fine but as I expected my mom never heard me and didn't come down. I felt sure I had frostbite on my toes but the did finally thaw and now I'm good as new. I'm not talking that dog out without a leash again though.

No comments: