Friday, November 7, 2008

Our first emergency room trip

It was bound to happen sooner or later with two little boys in the house. Tonight after dinner and baths the boys were playing in the living room while we watched a little T.V. They tend to get rowdy in the evening before bed and were being loud and running around. I asked them to stop running several times. The next thing we know - - wham! Alex hit the bridge of his nose on the coffee table. It did bleed but not too bad and we stopped it quickly. But it did leave a gap and swelled up fast. The whole thing is about a half an inch across and is on the bridge of his nose between his eyes. Chris thought he didn't need a doctor and put a steri strip on it. I wanted to take him to the emergency room just in case and because it's on his face. Even if they didn't think it needed a stitch or two I would rather a doctor tell me that. So, I iced his nose while Chris called his mom who is a nurse. She said that she would take him too. So, Chris bundled him up, grabbed his insurance card and left. I'm not with my poor hurt baby. It makes me sad. I definitely didn't want to take Zachary to what could be hours sitting in the emergency room but Chris just decided to go and I somehow got left at home. They are there now. They've been gone only about an hour so I haven't heard anything yet. I did take a few pictures before they left. By the way, after the inital crying Alex acted fine so I don't think he's in major pain or anything.

So, before I hit the publish button on this post Chris called. They are already finished at the emergency room. They had absolutely no wait. Alex didn't get any stitches and the doctor didn't even want to take off Chris's steri strip. They said he did a good job. They did finally take it off to clean out the wound when Chris told them all we did was dab it with a wet paper towel but then they put another back on. The doctor said if would have less of a scar without a stitch. We are to leave the same steri strip on for seven days and give him Motrin or Tylenol for the swelling. We will also have an oral antibiotic.

Chris and Alex are home now (we live very close to the hospital) and Alex is jabbering away showing me his Spiderman stickers that they gave him and telling me that he was a good boy. He asked to watch T.V. (I think he just doesn't want to go to bed.) so I told him he could have five minutes with daddy before bed.

3 comments:

kelly said...

Glad all is good!

Joanne said...

Poor baby! I'm glad that he didn't break his nose or anything! And hey...chicks dig scars! ;-)

soccermom10 said...

I'm glad chicks dig scars because my guys have lots of them! Believe me that little boo boo hasn't slowed Alex down one BIT!