Thursday, December 11, 2008

Rough day

First of all - Happy 100th Post to Me!!!

O.K., now that that's out of the way.....Today was a rough day. The morning started out fine but I had some things that I needed to get done before our move next weekend. I did spend quite a bit of today in the office or on the phone setting up new utilities, disconnecting some of the current ones, and changing homeowners insurance. I tried to do as much as I could during nap time but Alex had a very short nap today and there were too many things for me to do. Since Alex woke up early I tried to make it up to him by making brownies together. We pulled up a chair for him to stand on and he helped me mix it up and taste the batter. He loves to help. However I did have to hush him up and even kick him out of the office so I could hear the utility woman on the phone. Needless to say the boys got a bit neglected and a bit rowdy. They had the living room a mess and got in a few fights. Alex had to sit in time-out twice. He stayed in there extra long the first time when I told him that he had to hug Zachary and tell him that he was sorry (he was hit Zachary in the head with a toy while he was laying down on the couch). He's very stubborn and didn't want to do it. When he finally came out he did hug Zachary and said "sorry mama" while looking right at me. I reminded him that he needed to say sorry to Zachary and he beat around the bush for a long time (while still hugging Zach) before finally mumbling it. I think the only reason he came out was because he saw that I gave Zachary a piece of cheese while I was cooking and he wanted one too! The second time-out came from putting some unknown hurt on Zachary again. All I saw was him pulling on Zach's arm but Zach said the owie was on the side of his head. This time it hurt/upset Zachary enough that he held his breath. So I decided that maybe it was time to get ready for bed. When I got the boys in their PJ's and was trying to brush their teeth Zachary held his breath again because I told him no to something. That helped to seal their fate and they both went to bed an hour early.

Chris is out of town tonight so it made the day extra long and extra hard. He spends one or two nights a week at a friends house close to work to save on his drive time. I know it's tiring for him to have this long drive everyday but it's tiring for me when he doesn't come home. I'll be so glad to have him home every night once we've moved. This has been one of those days where I just don't feel like I've been a great mom and I was too hard on my kids. They are just babies after all. Tomorrow is a new day and I'll try to do better. Thank you for coming to my pity party.

3 comments:

kelly said...

Happy to join in your pity party!! Tomorrow will be a better day :-)

Joanne said...

You're right. Today will be a better day. I have lots of days where, when I'm in bed, I try to remember laughing with the kids and playing. All I can remember is the yelling and the punishments. You're a good mom who had a rough day. It happens to all of us. TGIF, right? At least Chris will be home for 4 nights in a row!

Sara said...

I'm sure today was better! Sometimes I get upset with Elizabeth after what seems like hours of whining, crying, and screaming. Then later I'm so sorry that I was upset with her and I promise myself that I'll be better...but it's just hard! And Elizabeth is only 7 3/4 months old!! You are a great mom!