Monday, December 1, 2008

School days

Sorry to make everyone wait so long for this post/pictures! We had to be at Alex's school around 7:15 this morning (in the future 7:30ish will do) so we had to wake up extra early to get going. I packed him a lunch in his new Spiderman lunch box because I never got a lunch menu. Chris was off today so we all got to go to school. Alex was ready - or at least he didn't have any complaints. He was so cute. Alex was very excited about his new backpack and lunchbox (inside).First we had to go to the office where the teacher came to meet us and show us to the classroom. We were the first ones there so Alex and Zachary got to play in the room for a little bit.Alex has a very small class with only five kids and they're all boys. All of the others ride the bus to school. We're going to drive Alex again on Wednesday but I think I'll let him ride the bus after that. The first thing the kids did was sit on a rug and have a sort of roll call. Then they had a story and the kids repeated sounds the teacher made. Alex did participate but at the very end he came over to me and Chris and said "Alex all done". Whoops! It was time for us to go. We said goodbye and I explained to Alex that we'd be back later but he needed to stay and play with the teacher and other kids. When I told him to remember the lunch we packed he wanted to eat but I said he'd have to wait for the other kids. Just then the speech therapist asked another boy and Alex to play with some cars and off they went. We were able to leave with no problems, from him anyway. Zachary wanted to stay and play too!

When we picked up Alex after school the teacher said he did great. There was no crying at all. She said that had very good manners and said please and thank you. That's my boy! She also told us that he ate every single bite in his lunch box and she and the other teacher noticed his cute turkey cookie I put in for a treat (left over from Thanksgiving).
Alex was a little chatterbox all the way home. He told us they had music and that he got to play outside and play inside. He said that he did not run away but that another boy ran away and was a bad boy. Hmmm.....I'm not sure where the bad boy came from because I try not to use that phrase. Maybe I've said it about our dog and never noticed? Anyway, school was a hit! When I told him that he was coming back he said "go night-night and wake up" meaning that he thought he'd go back tomorrow. He doesn't go back until Wednesday though so we'll see if he mentions it tomorrow. I must admit that I did get a little teary while he was gone but after hearing how well he did and him telling me that he liked it, I feel much better.

5 comments:

kelly said...

Yea! I'm happy to hear he liked it! How did Zachary like the personal time with Mom and Dad?

Sara said...

I'm glad he liked school! His backpack looks like it's as big as he is though!! :)

Karen said...

Sara,
You're right about the backpack! We had a really tiny one that we used on our last plane trip to pack with toys but it's so small that it wouldn't hold the extra set of clothes and diapers that he needs to take. This is still smaller than a regular one though.

Kelly,
Zachary asked about Alex once or twice and even told us that he was sleeping upstairs. He mostly played alone, coming to Chris or I every once in awhile. Also, after we dropped Alex off the rest of us headed out to breakfast.

soccermom10 said...

Sounds like he had a great first day!

Joanne said...

So cute! He looks so big!!!

I'm jealous that he got to go to school with no jacket or anything. We've been packing up our snow gear (pants, boots, hats and mittens) in addition to coats! Darn snow! ;-)