Sunday, June 12, 2011

Family Tree project

At the very end of the school year I tried to plan a few projects & day trips (some educational & some not) to help keep the bordom away, as well as the fighting and whining. We've been lucky to have lots of visitors in the last few weeks so we haven't had much time just sitting alone at home. Even with a pool there are still times that you can get bored. Yesterday was one of those days. Zachary was itching to do something and I just happened to have something in mind. We created a family tree and I love how it turned out! Painting, cutting, and glueing - all vital Kindergarten skills - bonus!!

The first thing we did was paint a big tree on a piece of posterboard. (I drew the outline with pencil for the boys to follow.) Then we hopped in the pool to let it dry.
Once we were done swimming and the paint was dry the boys cut out green leaves for each family member that I had already traced for them.
Next, they glued a small picture of each of their family members to the leaves. (We included their grandparents, aunts & uncles, and first cousins.)
Last the boys grouped each family together and glued them on the tree. They put themselves on the trunk of the tree since it's their family up top.
I think it's so cute! Plus it was a great way to remember names of some of their out of state cousins that they don't get to see often. Now I just need to find a place to hang it!

2 comments:

kelly said...

Cute project!

Joanne said...

I love it! We might just steal that idea for later this summer!