Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Morning at the park

This morning I decided to surprise the boys with a trip to the park. I hoped that if we went first thing in the morning that it wouldn't be so horribly hot. I was right, but it was also overcast today so that helped too. We started out with a breakfast picnic.

Then we had lots of playtime on the playground. There should be a great video of Zachary making it all the way across the monkey bars for the very first time but Blogger is being a stinker and it won't load. Alex really enjoys the rock wall. He said "I can see the whole town!" Um, no you can't.

We had a little bit of a learning experience today. While walking along the river and checking out the ducks we also saw this guy.

I thought he might be a beaver at first until we saw he had a skinny tail. Someone else near us said it was a nutria. So I googled it and why yes, it was. It's a semi-aquatic animal that is related to the rat. I remember watching the weird pest control guy show (I can't remember the name) and him trying to get rid of these guys somewhere. Apparently they are pretty destructive by digging and eating & wasting plants. I learned something new today.
We tried to ride the train but it was broken down. We did stumble upon the wadding pool that we'd only just stuck our feet in once before and well.....


Who cares if you have on swim suits or brought a towel when you're five? Other than the fact that I didn't let them wear their tennis shoes (so they had to step on rocks at the bottom) they loved it. They wanted to go back with swim trunks, water shoes, and towels after we went home for lunch and a nap but I had another idea.....

5 comments:

Sara said...

You're so much better at planning activities than I am! Elizabeth gets to work...out in the garden and then again at Market!! I'll have to plan a couple of fun things before school starts!

Karen said...

Sara - When market winds down come over & spend a day or two with us. We can find lots of fun things to do! Although for the record, I think Alex & Zachary would think that working in the garden was pretty fun too.

Sara said...

I bet they would! Plenty of mud now that it rained!!

We would love to spend a day or two with y'all! E is in swim lessons this week and next, so maybe sometime in July...

Joanne said...

Billy the Exterminator (ummm, or Swamp People - I watch a lot of reality shows)!

Karen said...

It was Billy! I usually only catch it when Lisa's here. lol I've never seen Swamp People yet.