Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Catch up

So to catch everyone up on our last week......

When Alex came home from speech last Tuesday he felt feverish. Sure enough he's got fever. Then a little cough and congestion starts. Well, that makes wheezing start. Wednesday night Zachary has a fever of 103.6 right at bedtime. Thursday I take the boys to the doctor and he thinks they have the flu even though they test negative. There is nothing to do anyway but give meds for fever. I was hoping the doctor could give them something because we've been planning a house warming party for Saturday and I'd sure hate for the boys to feel bad or to make anyone else sick. Surely they'll feel better by then.

Friday Chris took off work because he wanted to help get ready for the party (or so I thought). Since the deck was done he wanted to put the skirting on 'cause you know that was the most important thing to be done before the party - not cleaning house or cooking food (insert sarcasm here). Friday afternoon my parents and cousin come over to spend the night and help us get ready. Dad gets roped into helping Chris on the deck and mom and Kelli spend most of the time in the kitchen and wrangling the boys. I seriously could not have done it without them since my husband was MIA. The boys are still sick with fever, cough, runny/congested noses.

Saturday is more of the same. Chris and dad work outside while us ladies stay mostly in the kitchen. They little boys, especially Zachary, are getting into everything. I don't know what's come over him. I didn't sleep well Friday night (I had chills) and feel kind of achy all day Saturday. The party starts in the afternoon after naptime. Alex slept very late and missed the first few guests arriving. The party was nice. We had lots of little babies - four in all that were all less than a year old. Fun! We did have less people than we expected so we had tons of food left over. After everyone left I really didn't feel well. I asked Chris for cleaning up help but didn't get it. He decided to sit on the couch while I worked in the kitchen. I bagged/boxed up all the food but didn't wash any dishes. (I found out the next day that I forgot to put some of it in the fridge and it had to be thrown out.)

Sunday I am a goner. I've definitely got the flu or whatever the boys have and it isn't pretty. Chris cleans up the whole kitchen without being asked and feeds everybody (although none of us eat much) and takes care of us all. He only comments a couple of times that he had been hoping to go outside and finish the deck skirting. I never even make it out of my pajamas or into the shower all day.

When I wake up on Monday I've still got a sore throat but otherwise feel tons better. Alex still has fever though, for the 7th day in a row. Zach's is gone. I take Alex to the doctor again and this time we've got a real diagnosis - a double ear infection! This is the first one either boy has had since we've been home. He had only started complaining about his ears the day before. At least we've got medication now. Since I'm feeling human again Chris heads to the store to get more wood for the deck but comes home with a flat screen T.V. instead. (He's been checking at the electronic store that's about to go out of business to see how far down they'd mark them and decided this was the time to buy.)

That brings us to today. Alex's speech class was cancelled which was good since I wouldn't have taken him anyway. Zachary is still being extra trying. When he woke up this morning he said he wanted to eat. I told him I would get him something as soon as I let our dog go potty outside. When I came back in Zachary was walking down the hall with a cookie in his hand - that he only could have gotten from climbing on the kitchen counter. That has been him all weekend.

1 comment:

kelly said...

Oh Karen, I hope you feel better soon! That's too funny, a flat screen instead of wood! I guess he redeemed himself somewhat by cleaning & cooking Sunday w/o being asked :-)